Please read this page fully. If you still have questions then further information can be found on the UniWorkforce webpages.

In FEPS Demonstrating work is only undertaken by PhD students. The role undertaken is usually entitled 'Teaching Assistant' or similar. Demonstrating duties include laboratory and workshop activities and supervisions.

I have been asked to help with demonstrating duties, what do I need to do now?
– You must be issued with a Casual Worker Permit before you start any work associated with demonstrating.
– You must complete the appropriate training before you start work.

Demonstrator Training
Before you can start demonstrating you need to ensure you are properly prepared by completing the require training course Orientation to Teaching & Demonstrating

OTD comprises three elements:

Step 1: Completion of an on-line course (covering both seminar-leader and demonstrator roles). You must work through this course before moving to Step 2. Click here for full details of Step 1.

Step 2: Attendance at an online workshop 'OTD: Seminar Leader' or 'OTD: Demonstrator'. Click here for full details of Step 2.

Step 3: Attendance at a follow-up session (discipline-based) once you have some practical teaching/demonstrating experience.

Important notes:
► You will not be paid for any teaching/demonstrating unless you have completed Steps 1 and 2.
► If you are a continuing researcher and you attended the old ITSPG1 course or a local equivalent, you do not need to attend OTD this year - please do not book a place if this is the case.
If you have any questions or are unsure about this training, please contact the Graduate School Office

How do I obtain a Casual Worker Permit?
1. You will need to sign up to the Casual Worker-Private Pool Click here
2. You will need to complete the following forms:
Starter checklist for UniWorkforce
Registration form for UniWorkforce
Once completed please send the forms to UniWorkforce
3. UniWorkforce will issue you with a Casual Worker Permit.
You need to show your Casual Worker Pernit to the member of staff you are working for prior to comencing any work.

How do I claim for hours worked?
To claim for the demonstrating hours you have worked, you need to submit a UniWorkforce timesheet. Timesheets can be downloaded from here
You should include details of the demonstrating work that you have undertaken in the supporting comments box. Please be aware that there are no longer individual OSRF numbers. There is a single OSRF for demonstrating DEMO-21 that you should include on your timesheet.

Where do I submit my completed timesheet in order to get paid?
You should email your completed timesheet to the person you did the work for (hiring manager). You need to submit a seperate claim form for each job you do. They will then sign off your claim form and email it to the Graduate School Office at
You should submit a timesheet for each month that you undertake work. If a claim is older than three months it will not be paid.

Is there a limit to how many hours of demonstrating I can claim for?
– No more than 180 hours paid work i.e. 6 hours a week of demonstrating and fees payroll can be claimed in any one year (we advise you that this is the maximum you should do). Hours over this will not be paid.
– Tier 4 visa holders are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week (this covers all forms of employment, paid and unpaid, and hours worked will be checked - it is a strict rule).
Tier 4 visa holders must check the terms of their visa and must refer to the University's Visa and Immigration webpages.

Do you have any queries?
For more information firstly please visit UniWorkforce
Please email any payment queries to


Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences


Phone: 02380 593390

Building 13 | Room 2043 Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences The University of Southampton Highfield Southampton SO17 1BJ
About Us
The Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences Graduate School is here to support you from the day you arrive until the day you graduate. We manage the PhD programme as well as offering help and support for both academic concerns as well as pastoral support and guidance. The office operates an open door policy so if you have any concerns please don't hesitate to stop by and see us. Alternatively we are available on email or phone.